Blog Journal 4: Standards and Online Resources

    Standard LAFS.910.L.3.4 states that students will be able to find the meanings of unfamiliar words found in content for grades 9-10. I believe I am prepared to implement this standard with the aid of technical resources. Students can be provided with online dictionaries and thesauruses so that they can begin to develop reference skills. The standards matrix also lists visual dictionaries and word analysis tools which can aid students in memorization. I would also teach students to analyze context clues or potentially break words into parts to understand them better on a first reading. 

    I examined standard ELA.9.C.1.3: "Write to argue a position, supporting claims using logical reasoning and credible evidence from multiple sources, rebutting counterclaims with relevant evidence, using a logical organizational structure, elaboration, purposeful transitions, and a tone appropriate to the task." For this standard, CPALMS provides eight lesson plans, four ideas for activities, and one animated video. Most of the lesson plans feature information and prompts for students to develop their argumentative skills. I would likely base my lessons off of some of these plans, but I would have students develop arguments based on content in the English course. This would authentically tie the lesson to what students are already familiarizing themselves with. I would likely the use the animated video as an introduction to the lesson/standard.

    Internet searching skills are important to teachers because they will allow one to access a greater quantity of useful sources and resources. As a future educator, I will use Google's advanced search frequently as it will help me hone in on materials relevant to my classroom. I will also use Google scholar regularly. This search feature will allow me to access interesting academic texts that can inform my teaching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Journal #5